Russian Protestors Being Arrested for Almost Nothing

Blank paper protests go back nerly a decade to my knowledge. Even no-paper protests - just hold your arms in the air as if holding a placard - have resulted in arrests. Of course, they're playing semiotic whackamole, eventually everything will have to become an arrestable offence. I saw a clip of a lady being arrested for holding a sign saying "dva slova" ("two words", an allusion to "no war" probably) a couple of days back:
There are no more overflowing squares, shouted slogans and even “walks”. After twenty years of repression and nearly 15,000 arrests in two weeks, the resistance is a lone picket. A blank sheet. A drawing. An ironic slogan. Or eight asterisks: “*** *****”. As many as the letters of the two Russian words prohibited by the law approved in a hurry on the evening of March 4 and immediately entered into force: “Net Voyne”, “No to war”. The offensive launched by Russia in Ukraine on February 24 can only be called a “special military operation” here. Any synonym, or contrary, is “false news” or “defamatory” of the Russian armed forces punishable even with 15 years in prison. Yet the Russians try.
Content from External Source
A girl takes out a piece of paper the size of the palm of her hand where it only says “Dva slova”, “Two words”. “I’m here to show my support for activists. I wanted to understand, if I say ‘Two words’, will they arrest me?”. She can’t even finish the sentence that three “cosmonauts” take her away. It is the beginning of an uninterrupted series of arrests. But there is no longer anyone to shout “Pozor”, “Shame”.
-- https://www.breakinglatest.news/wor...sian-squares-and-in-the-signs-only-asterisks/
-- (corroborating vid)
Source: https://i.imgur.com/9bd8zL8.mp4

I've not seen the "ironic" ones being referred to, but have heard others mention them, so clearly they're an active concept, and I have no reason to doubt their existence, as clearly the locals have been forced to get inventive.

Alas, I have so encountered the meme:
Protestor: You can't arrest us all
Stalin: Challenge accepted

Yes, here's the continuation. The Curb Your Enthusiasm credits at the end make it look like a parody.
It's edited for this broadcast. I've looked for the longer version, but couldn't find it again.

(Manezhnaya Square)
Now if I could find the version with the subtitles...

Source: https://youtu.be/tI8g-LD4sxA

A: We are for activists.
B: For activists?
A: Yes, sure.
B: I just want to ask, if I would say two words. [Written: "TWO WORDS".] Will I be detained?
A: You are being detained right now. It's crazy. Have you seen that?
C: Do you film only the oppositionists?
A: We film everybody.
C: Do you film people with opposite opinion?
A: Yes, of course, we film everybody.
C: And those who do not protest? And who support the military operation conducting by our country? - I want to share my opinion as well.
A: Yes, please.
C: I am satisfied that...
D: Go!
A: It's a shock content. The person wanted to say that she is satisfied, probably, with Vladimir Putin's actions, but she stayed for only few seconds.
It looks surreal, for sure.

Last edited:
Back