Bugs and Suggestions for Metabunk.org

Is it fixed for you now? Or still broken?
I see a post from yesterday, then the deleted one from 2013, then your test post as the last three posts in the thread.

I did look at it yesterday though so something might be cached for me.

Using a browser that has never been logged in here it looks fine (i.e. the deleted post isn't shown out of order).

the new post was listed before the older one. I added a post, then the new post was listed ofter the deleted post (and before!), but after reloading the thread, it seems fine now.
probably a legacy bug.
It seems your newer post, now I've read it, has at least fixed the bolding of the thread aspect. The out-of-order ordering remains a mystery, but a presently harmless one.

Maybe something to do with it being a very old thread, from the previous version of the board. Or maybe just a large gap between posts. I permanently deleted the old deleted posts (And Mendel's "unbork" post) which seems to have shaken it back together.

I literally don't have that "external quote" button you taught me to use.
1705162188671.png
This is definitely a bug with @Mick West 's custom forum extensions, thank you for the feedback. It would help if you could mention your operating system and browser, ideally including version numbers.

Meanwhile, you can type [ex]content as needed[/ex] manually, if you like. (I rarely use the button myself.)

This is definitely a bug with @Mick West 's custom forum extensions, thank you for the feedback. It would help if you could mention your operating system and browser, ideally including version numbers.

Meanwhile, you can type [ex]content as needed[/ex] manually, if you like. (I rarely use the button myself.)

I gave George a detailed explanation on the simple use of typing EX and /EX in brackets for external stuff back in this thread, post #1,133.
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/house-oversight-hearing-on-uaps-july-26-2023.13049/page-29

It appears he tried it in his next post but instead of the EX in [ ] he ended up with <external> which didn't create an external content box, just the word external in < >.

1705196753680.png

He'd used EX tags many times before.

Yeah, seems to be back and forth like a lot of people, I know I had trouble with them at first. I think it's something that is intuitive to programmers and tech folks, letters inside brackets [ ] turn features on and off. Some of my early post attempts were complete messes as I got the EX in [ ] but failed to notice the proper use of the /EX at the end of the quote.

After thinking I had mastered the EX tags, I later ended up abandoning some lengthy posts almost entirely of strikethrough. Only later did I realize letters in [ ] do things and that Wiki especially will add a missing "s" in [ ], thus turning on the strikethrough feature. :confused:

As always, thanks for the forum sir!

I can see a message on Page 2. #41 posted by Rick Robson.

Ah, he's on my ignore list. So I just get the "[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [Next]" from above the messages and the "[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [Next]" from below the messages and nothing in between.
OK, it's confusing, but it's not worth fussing over.

Ah, he's on my ignore list. So I just get the "[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [Next]" from above the messages and the "[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [Next]" from below the messages and nothing in between.
OK, it's confusing, but it's not worth fussing over.
Watch out for "show ignored content", it indicates there is hidden content

Here is a possibly, nay probably, unimportant one, but since I'm here...

Should/could the "disagree" response option be changed to something other than a huge red "X?" That is, visually, a lot harsher and stronger than what I want to imply when disagreeing with a post, usually. Not 100% sure what to change it to -- one possibility would be to add a less bold, less saturated red "X" for a "somewhat disagree" option.

This may sound silly, but it almost feels like I'm violating the politeness policy if I toss a huge bold bright red "X" onto somebody's post! :D

Any suggestions?

I tend to agree with @JMartJr that the big red X is a bit intimidating and impolite "feeling". Some with a "I respectfully disagree with you in this and will likely discuss it with you further in the thread when I have time" vibe to it. A wagging "NO" finger? An "I don't think so" face? Maybe time out hands.

I "disagree" with you is different from I "dislike" your post. "Dislike" seems to be for things like violating posting policies, claims without sources, being impolite or combative and such. JMartJr and I get along just fine and respect each other, but may have a disagreement on something, vs someone is being a PITA.

Just a thought.

Any suggestions?
Other than a less bold, less saturated-red "X," I don't have a great idea. If they could be animated a nodding "agree" face and a side-to-side shaking "disagree" face would be a possibility, though possibly too cute even if technically feasible. Or an optional Yellow X for "disagree in part?

There is a dislike option already there which is a softer option.
There is, but I don't interpret it as a "soft disagree," or a more friendly disagree, for largely the reasons NorCal Dave mentioned in the preceding post.

Also, @Alien Chess Fiend , if you did that response to the first post tongue in cheek I got a chuckle out of it! If done in total seriousness, no offense taken! ^_^

Other than a less bold, less saturated-red "X," I don't have a great idea. If they could be animated a nodding "agree" face and a side-to-side shaking "disagree" face would be a possibility, though possibly too cute even if technically feasible. Or an optional Yellow X for "disagree in part?

There is, but I don't interpret it as a "soft disagree," or a more friendly disagree, for largely the reasons NorCal Dave mentioned in the preceding post.

Also, @Alien Chess Fiend , if you did that response to the first post tongue in cheek I got a chuckle out of it! If done in total seriousness, no offense taken! ^_^
We can do gifs

IMG_20240203_190531.gif

Last edited:
Any suggestions?
The same X but shrunk so that it fits inside the "thumbs up" circle.

I use "like" for posts that advance the discussion, even if I don't always agree with them. When I've asked a question, a "like" indicates I accept the answer, as a short-hand "thank you" note.
I use "dislike" for posts that I think actively make the discussion worse.
I use "agree" for posts that "I could've written myself" but didn't.
I use "disagree" for posts I think are false; either for reasons I've stated above, or (usually) will explain below.
I use "informative" for posts with sources that add helpful information to a discussion.
I use "useful" for posts that present useful sources or methods.
I never use "funny" to express dislike, as that would amount to ridicule.

Yes, I couldn't resist that. I do think the disagree reaction is a good thing with the way conspiracy theory promoters are tolerated here. I don't think changing the icon a bit would hurt though.

Any chance we make the URLs a different color than current? The light, light blue on the white background is hard to notice. They blend in enough to get missed by readers, I reckon. I can do it with JavaScript on my end, but figure Mick could dust off the ol' skill set and make it a global change. Whaddya say, Mick?

Any chance we make the URLs a different color than current? The light, light blue on the white background is hard to notice. They blend in enough to get missed by readers, I reckon. I can do it with JavaScript on my end, but figure Mick could dust off the ol' skill set and make it a global change. Whaddya say, Mick?
It's a bit fiddly to do in a clean manner. Try selecting the "Red Links" theme (bottom left of bottom of page)

Any chance we make the URLs a different color than current? The light, light blue on the white background is hard to notice. They blend in enough to get missed by readers, I reckon.
What links, specifically, did you (almost?) overlook?
Most non-interface links on Metabunk are supposed to be explicit, as "https://....", and thus obvious.

Does the blue actually blend in with the white for you? Or is it dark enough to blend in with the black? I can discern them well enough on my display.

Last edited:
Zqu0uJq.png
Perhaps it's just my monitor (or eyesight), but I would definitely gloss over this in the wild. Switching to Red Links per Mick's request is better, for sure.

I'll probably just deploy my own JS since I do that normally for many sites:

const links = document.querySelectorAll(".link.link--external");
links.forEach(link => {
link.style.textDecoration = 'underline';
link.style.color = 'red';
});

Most of the internal links are pretty obvious since they're in the same place often and don't blend in as much for me.

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:
Back