Debunked: Strange Sounds in the Sky

i appreciate your replies but i am not looking for a protracted to and from by email on this subject.. I can ASSURE you i have absolute and total clarity on this matter and my description is as accurate as it can be when you are describing something you have never encounter before and never heard ever elsewhere. I am an ex submariner and in my fifties. So for the avoidance of doubt, i say again, this sound is not and cannot be mistaken for or be emanating from anything man made or mechanical (in my opinion). Why; the sound is everywhere and has no particular direction, there are no bangs, thumps or anything remotely similar. It is omnipresent, and "appears" to be atmospheric. I have looked on the internet and you put aside all the conspiracy theories and reports of bangs , bumps droning, bass noises, these are not the same. However there are a large number of reports and accompanying videos that DO ACCURATELY described the sound i am referring to, and these seem the be spread across the world, with a recent emphasis here in Spain. I am less than half a mile from the sea and am very familiar with all the noises that could emanate from the ocean. This sound is so VAST that you automatically discount all these possibilities. imagine a noise that is so loud, does not vary in strength, does not osculate, does not sound as if its even directional. Before I pull the curtains on my double glazed patio doors, I expect to see a very windy outdoors, but instead it is totally still, the trees or leaves are not moving at all, and yet a strange wind noise... now in conclusion and not wishing to enter into the bizarre, i have read the possibility that the sound could be coming from below the ground.....WOW, well it does not feel like that but i suppose its a possibility. After all the earth i believe is due to change slightly on its axis and the strong magnetic field etc could be causing this i suppose. But if this is the case why would the sound stop? thank you for your indulgence and i am signing off and will not return to this forum, unless i can provide more information on the sound itself.. .

Do other people hear it to? Have you recorded it?

I did not hear any barking.

You have to go visit the island of Kauai, and hear it for yourself. Best when the ocean surf is not very active (calm seas) and you walk on the beach and then hear the resonance in the sand. (Finding a video to actually show this is difficult...it's one of those things best experienced in person, if ever you get the opportunity).

If you haven't noticed, I do love Hawai'i. Worth a visit (and personal note: The city of Honolulu, on Oahu, has its charms, but please don't judge the island chain by that one city. There is MUCH more to Hawai'i. Just sayin').

Last edited:
After listening to some of them, it seems pretty clear they are fake. It's just animal noises slowed down and with some processing added, like reverb.

I made a comparison of an elephant roar with a couple of the more fake sounding "strange sounds".

So I'm calling hoax on many of them.

I thought "The Strange Sounds in the Sky" Hoax was dead. for some reason this has popped up in my feeds and lots of people commenting, today.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=878022282219131

It's been 20 years since I've used the sound effect, so in the first round of this hoax, I had forgotten about it. Today, it hit me and I made these 2 videos. I'm fairly certain the sound was created with a super ball mounted on a bamboo skewer, rubbed across a metal surface, there may be some processing involved. But, these came out fairly close.

Last edited:
These videos need to be analyzed for any editing, something I would suspect news agencies would do to protect themselves from embarrassment. If some of the sounds weren't hoaxes, I think HAARP would be reasonable explaination. The only way I can think of to produce sounds in the atmosphere would be to blast energy into it. As I understand HAARP can send energy to most the planet, so it could be a simple top secret experiment. They're testing stuff all the time.

These videos need to be analyzed for any editing, something I would suspect news agencies would do to protect themselves from embarrassment. If some of the sounds weren't hoaxes, I think HAARP would be reasonable explaination. The only way I can think of to produce sounds in the atmosphere would be to blast energy into it. As I understand HAARP can send energy to most the planet, so it could be a simple top secret experiment. They're testing stuff all the time.
No, HAARP could send energy to a small area of the ionosphere (so high up that it's in near-vacuum), directly above its location in Alaska. And it's not doing much of anything now, because the program has been shut down.

No, HAARP could send energy to a small area of the ionosphere (so high up that it's in near-vacuum), directly above its location in Alaska. And it's not doing much of anything now, because the program has been shut down.
HAARP only closed temporarily while they changed operating contractors. They can in fact direct the beam and bounce much of it off the ionosphere so it's possible they can direct energy to large parts of the globe. Their true reach is classified, could be far could be not far. The physics of it are well known, no theories. What they do with the beams or their implications I'll leave to others. Except one effect is the generation of extremely low frequency waves from heating. I'd sure like to know if these waves ever become audible.

Two things:

1) Source?

2) HAARP, when it was active, heated the ionosphere dirctly above the site enough to create a faint auroral glow. You know, EM waves? Not sound waves. You can't, nor will you ever, hear light.

apart from what has already been mentioned about HAARP, are ANY of these "sounds heard round the world 2 videos actually on any News agencies and not just posted to You tube?

Strange sounds from the ether are nothing new really. My own city, Bristol in the UK has had a strange 'hum' for years, as have other places world wide. And a lot of these noises were reported looooong before HAARP was a twinkle in an astrophysicists eye,

Here's another thread about Hums and noises, and my own post about The Bristol Hum. (To save re writing the same stuff over again)
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/the-windsor-hum.1097/#post-135755

I also find it interesting that suddenly HAARP is now the big evil source of all evil that does everything from making weird noises, to making hurricanes, detonating volcanos, crashing aircraft, inducing ME and controlling our minds. I now wonder what doing all that before HAARP was switched on in 1994? I mean all these hurricanes couldn't have been natural?

(Or could they?) ;)

Stephen Colbert had a segment of the Late show with video of him listening to strange sounds from his office window in NYC. Any further info?

mod add:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen Colbert had a segment of the Late show with video of him listening to strange sounds from his office window in NYC. Any further info?

Definitely the sounds of local construction and traffic. Drills, cranes, maybe welding; general construction work. The New York City area has constant construction going on, the comments on the video mention two hotels and a parking deck being built nearby as possible culprits.

I travel down to a college just north of NYC a couple days a week and even that far out there's still constant road work and multiple cranes working on the new Tappan Zee Bridge. I occasionally hear sounds similar to this along the way.

On debunking strange sounds in the sky in general I also heard a stranger sound earlier on in my journey one day. I didn't think it was construction given my location at the time and it was so loud that some of the other drivers seemed to be concerned as well. I later did some research online and discovered that a nearby nuclear power plant was testing its warning sirens to alert anyone in ten miles of an emergency around the same time, the likely cause. I don't think anyone else in this thread proposed distant sirens/alarms as possible causes of the sounds.

Actually this could in part explain why I say that the sounds occur at the same times and at fairly regular intervals. i.e. monthly... it could be that the temp drops enough for this sound to occur and as the temp increases it ceases.

In this part of spain we get very few clouds, hardly ever any cloud base, 300+ days of pure sunshine and temp of between 20-30c for nine months a year. today as the sound is occurring early as usual, it is 15c (which is very cold for here)

OK, I have listened to the recordings in the posts above, very spooky and what I have to relate to you is not like that and probably can be easily explained or debunked but not by anyone that I have spoken with so far this morning. I have not spoken to my neighbors yet as when I heard these sounds last night is was around 8:30-9pm. It was a dark clear evening, no cloud cover, I could clearly see the big dipper in the sky in the general direction that the sounds were coming from. My wife and I were lying in bed just chatting when we started hearing what we both at first thought were fireworks and we looked at each other and voiced out thoughts, why the hell are people shooting off fireworks and proceeded to move out to the front deck. We live in Palmer Alaska which is in the MAT-SU valley and we are surrounded on three sides by mountain systems. When we stepped out on the deck we could hear more clearly that the sounds most resembled rolling thunder with varying degrees of resonance and volume. I will also say that as a veteran of multiple deployments to Iraq with the U.S. Army, it could also have sounded like a firefight with various caliber weapons because the sounds were not rhythmic or symmetric but rather random except that the majority of the sound seemed to roll across about a 45 degree range and it bounced off the houses and that kind of made it difficult to pin down. Anyway, I spoke to the folks I vanpool with and no one there had a clue. I have only lived up here for about 11 months but in that time, I have never heard anything like it. There are no firing ranges out in that area and as I said before it was pitch black except for starlight. Could have been a bunch of people getting together and spread across about a hundred miles of mountain range and perfectly timed a hoax......but I haven't found a dozen people up here that agreed to anything as of yet so I doubt it. Any thought would be appreciated, I will definitely be following up with a canvas of the neighbors that I know and see if anyone else heard these noises. My wife and I were the only ones in my immediate area that came out to investigate....we do not do drugs by the way. :) I will definitely take a lesson from the folks in previous posts and get some recordings if it happens again, wish I would have though of it.
Thanks for reading,

Bill Barker

OK, I have listened to the recordings in the posts above, very spooky and what I have to relate to you is not like that and probably can be easily explained or debunked but not by anyone that I have spoken with so far this morning. I have not spoken to my neighbors yet as when I heard these sounds last night is was around 8:30-9pm. It was a dark clear evening, no cloud cover, I could clearly see the big dipper in the sky in the general direction that the sounds were coming from. My wife and I were lying in bed just chatting when we started hearing what we both at first thought were fireworks and we looked at each other and voiced out thoughts, why the hell are people shooting off fireworks and proceeded to move out to the front deck. We live in Palmer Alaska which is in the MAT-SU valley and we are surrounded on three sides by mountain systems. When we stepped out on the deck we could hear more clearly that the sounds most resembled rolling thunder with varying degrees of resonance and volume. I will also say that as a veteran of multiple deployments to Iraq with the U.S. Army, it could also have sounded like a firefight with various caliber weapons because the sounds were not rhythmic or symmetric but rather random except that the majority of the sound seemed to roll across about a 45 degree range and it bounced off the houses and that kind of made it difficult to pin down. Anyway, I spoke to the folks I vanpool with and no one there had a clue. I have only lived up here for about 11 months but in that time, I have never heard anything like it. There are no firing ranges out in that area and as I said before it was pitch black except for starlight. Could have been a bunch of people getting together and spread across about a hundred miles of mountain range and perfectly timed a hoax......but I haven't found a dozen people up here that agreed to anything as of yet so I doubt it. Any thought would be appreciated, I will definitely be following up with a canvas of the neighbors that I know and see if anyone else heard these noises. My wife and I were the only ones in my immediate area that came out to investigate....we do not do drugs by the way. :) I will definitely take a lesson from the folks in previous posts and get some recordings if it happens again, wish I would have though of it.
Thanks for reading,

Bill Barker
something like this maybe ? a training exercise in your area?

JUNEAU, Alaska (KINY) - The Juneau Police Department is giving Lemon Creek residents an advance notice that they may hear some gunshots the next couple of Thursdays, but it's nothing to worry about.

On the next two Thursdays - October 6th and 13th - JPD officers will be training with their firearms in the evening at the Lemon Creek Correctional Center firearms range. The training is scheduled to end before 10 PM on both evenings.

According to a press release, JPD trains its officers during low light situations as part of a yearly training cycle, as officers work 24 hours a day and can encounter low light situations at night, or indoors.

The release goes on to state that JPD understands that the sound of firearms in the evening can be a distraction, and that they appreciate the public’s understanding of the vital importance of maintaining officers' training.
http://www.taku105.com/news/news-of...tential-noise-from-pending-training-exercise/
Content from External Source

When I was in the Submarine Navy, I was stationed at COMSUBRON 22 on the little island (20 sq mi) of La Maddalena, Sardinia. We used Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) to shuttle personnel back and forth from La Maddalena to Santo Stefano Island (where the submarine tender USS SIMON LAKE (AS 33) was moored) and the town of Palau on main island of Sardinia.

I lived in the town of Moneta which was about 2 miles from the water traffic area. On quiet days, like Sundays when the whole island shut down, one could hear the rattling of the pistons on the LCM engines as they went about their business. The sound had an ghostly echo-like quality and it would fade in out and seem to come from everywhere. The island is also rocky as is the sea floor and I guess that helped amplify and reflect the sound. On Saturday nights, one could hear the music and crowd noise from the disco which was about 2-3 miles away.

I too believe the majority of the noises in the sky can be explained.

reminds me of the creepy sound that the beetham tower of manchester emits during strong winds. if i were a little child living there, i'd cry myself to sleep in fear.

this sound is real btw. i could witness it last fall by myself. it's caused by winds playing on the "shutter"-construction mounted on top of the skyscraper. it's well explained, yet they don't really know how to get rid of it. the architect has already changed the design but the sound still occurs.

i think ALL those mysterious sounds can be explained eventually.

Last edited:
We had some awesome long duration rolling thunder last week when a post storm temperature inversion caused ducting of the thunder from still active thunderstorms that were as far as 20 or 30 miles away.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sfga...amy-love-life-is-revealed-Singing-2525265.php

Strange sounds abound...

The sound -- a perfect A-flat -- was a mystery for years, blamed by some conspiracy theorists in the 1980s on secret experiments by the Army Corps of Engineers lab on the city's waterfront, on the local water treatment plant or even on extraterrestrials.

Then, a San Francisco marine biologist recognized it as the annoying sound that he'd heard as a graduate student studying fish and trying to sleep on the beach in Baja California: It was the sex call of a species known as the plainfin midshipman.
Content from External Source

I have watched many of these YouTube vids & the 1st thing I thought they sounded like was similar to the War of the Worlds movie or like loud almost metallic trumpets, horns of various kinds just extremely loud. It also reminded me of other movies I've watched where they made sounds like this when 1 of Gods Angels/archangels were descending down from the heavens to wreak havoc on mankind.....

I've always wondered what could cause these sounds. Most of the vids I've seen of this "phenomenon" have been w/just 1 person doing the hearing & recording but I have seen a couple vids where many people were outside listening to these sounds, wondering what was going on.

I know one thing, if I heard these sounds outside coming from the sky or elsewhere & as loud as these people make them sound I have to say I'd be freaked out hearing this. That is until someone explained exactly what I was hearing!!
I would love to hear proof of what these sounds really are! Until then......

Last edited:
FWIW -- some folks are piggybacking on current anxieties to share these sorts of "sky trumpet" sounds "live" on FaceBook, including cheesy special effects.

https://www.facebook.com/alienmedia.news

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 471
Back