Wyoming UFO

Duke

Senior Member.
Source: https://m.facebook.com/1160255368/videos/983715570274466/?locale2=en_US

The Rock Springs city attorney and part-time UFO investigator captured 40 minutes of video early Sunday morning of an unidentified flying object near Green River. He's reaching out to local airports now and radar stations to see what they picked up.
Content from External Source
https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/0...y-posts-video-of-mysterious-light-in-the-sky/

Almost looks like pyrotechnics on a drone, but 40 minutes is a long time for pyros. LED light strips on a drone, maybe?

[Admin Edit: Added YouTube Video]

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNyzZSRe4l8

Last edited by a moderator:
LED light strips on a drone, maybe?
Maybe. Can we all agree that the back-and-forth motion is not camera shake (appears too regular) so maybe the LED array is simulating back and forth motion? But the white light that appears at around 32-33 seconds in also does that back-and-forth thing, which makes less sense to me

It reminds me of a light bar on a tow truck or similar. So maybe something like:

WARNING: flashing lights that flash faster once you get into "Pattern 6" (video cued up to pattern 5) -- if that is an issue for you be aware.

Source: https://youtu.be/Sha9F9uO_b4?t=64

Witness says it was in the air, that may or may not be accurate, but I suppose there are applications for a light bar in the air... and the unit in video I linked looks like something a drone could lift .

Of course, there are other flying devices that spring to MY mind, for which 40 minutes of flight time would not be an issue as it might be for some drones toting extra weight! But I don't see anything to rule a large kite in, or out, in the UFO video.

Edited to add flashing light warning after letting the video play past "Pattern 5."

Maybe. Can we all agree that the back-and-forth motion is not camera shake (appears too regular) so maybe the LED array is simulating back and forth motion? But the white light that appears at around 32-33 seconds in also does that back-and-forth thing, which makes less sense to me
The attorney/MUFON guy who took the video is fairly adamant in the article I linked the camera was not shaking because it was on a tripod. Not sure those two are mutually exclusive.

Can we all agree that the back-and-forth motion is not camera shake (appears too regular)

we have no information. maybe he was inside and the furnace was on. since we only have 40 secs of video, maybe they were freezing on the porch and their shaking vibrated the porch or the dog had an itchy ear.

we have no information. maybe he was inside and the furnace was on. since we only have 40 secs of video, maybe they were freezing on the porch and their shaking vibrated the porch or the dog had an itchy ear.
It's forty minutes. Sped up.

On second thought... it's not changing shape, so not consistent with something swiveling. More like equipment moving back and forth, showing the same profile. Like a bulldozer.

The bulldozer scenario would also explain why there's some vertical movement during the 40 minute video.

I'm assuming they haven't released the entire footage nor the location this was filmed in? (So we don't know if this is an object that could be on the top of a hill or something)

It's interesting that traces of the white light can be seen before it actually pops up, almost as it were being covered by something at first and then it rose up above cover while maintaining matching the movement (before seemingly turning off)

And maybe it's just my perception, but doesn't it seem to "bounce" a lot more abruptly when it gets to the left compared to the right?

A bulldozer on a hill at night.

But how many degrees above the horizon was it?
What's the camera position?
Compass direction
Same view in daylight.

Give us some crumbs.

It's interesting that traces of the white light can be seen before it actually pops up, almost as it were being covered by something at first and then it rose up above cover while maintaining matching the movement (before seemingly turning off)
Or it's a directional light; like a headlight. The vehicle is turning slightly, then turning back.

Throughout, we see the non-directional lights on the vehicle.

Can we equate the 40 second sped up version with 40 minutes of actual filming time? Or is it 4 minutes of filming time sped up to 40 seconds? If its's 40 minutes, why show it all sped up? I get wanting to make a 40 minute video shorter, but I would also think at least some of the video would include the event in real time.

Some bit of "here it is in real time" and then "here it is occurring for 40 minutes sped up". Just standard good YouTube DIY style. Here is how I made an object in real time and now here is me making 20 of these same objects in sped up time.

The lack of any real time video seems suspicious.

Directional and non-directional lighting. Non-directional light is reflected light.

Last edited:
and this is why @Duke..mb asks people to put all known info in the OP.

I recorded this object east of Green River on March 10, 2024, at 3:40 a.m. I recorded the object for more than 40 minutes on a Sony AVIIR4 on a tripod with a 100–400 mm Tamaron zoom lens. The movement of the object is not the result of a camera shake. The object is actually oscillating, back and forth. It ejects another object—a small, white light, at around 30 seconds into the more-than-30-minute clip. These objects appeared over Scott's Bottom Road and were seen by at least 5 other witnesses in separate locations. Please contact me if you saw this object as well.
Content from External Source

so
1. yea, super nippy out
2. the thing does like 1 slide every minute?

From his Facebook feed and comments section of the video, linked in the first post:

1710471278898.png

10 March 2024, 03:40am MST, Scotts Bottom Road, East of Green River, WY.
Sony A7R IV, tripod, lens Tamron 100-400mm.
Richard claims that around 30 seconds, a small white light is ejected by the orange light. However, in the footage, the white light turns on at a fixed distance to the orange light and already moving in sync with it.

Light faded out after 30 to 40 minutes:

1710471424272.png

Two people claim to have seen it too (one claims to have recorded it), but at a different time (08:30pm MST and 03:50am MST) and location (~190km away from Green River) than Richard. One saw just the white light:

1710471682366.png

1710473814832.png

1710473758029.png
1710475301911.png

Obviously a case where the submitter should return to the same spot, with the same camera and tripod, during the DAY. So we can see the context of the view he was viewing.

And another case where people zoom in on something that looks as unidentifiable when zoomed in as when zoomed out. Also, try and get some other objects in the view (usually by zooming out) so we can confirm the camera was not shaking. Does MUFON have a How-To guide on making useful videos?

I've asked for some clarification in the YT comments section.

Aside: His channel is full of woo, including a video he made himself - Matter From Thought - which is about quantum woo.

A different approach. This may be a glitch with the sensor "wobbling." Beckwith's camera is the Sony α7R IV. (He writes it as Sony AVIIR4. He's written the Greek letter alpha as "A" and switched up the Roman and Arabic numerals. Heh.)

Why is it wiggling? I have no idea. It’s standing on a tripod, but is it the images? It’s like wiggling. I have no idea what that is. So, I know there’s this weird wiggling. I don’t know what that is, but it seems like whatever is happening there, it’s moving back and forth.

Hi, my name is Andy Midside, and today I want to talk to you about these **Sony cameras** and a problem I had with them: the **sensor wobbling**. Sony cameras come equipped with **five-axis image stabilization**, which is fantastic. However, last year, when I bought my **A72** (which was secondhand, by the way), I noticed that the sensor was wobbling. I initially wondered if my lens wasn't attached properly and tried various troubleshooting steps.

After some investigation, I found a **simple solution**. Here's what you need to do:

1. **Access the Menu**:
- Go to the camera menu.
- Navigate to **SteadyShot settings**.

2. **Switch to Manual Mode**:
- By default, it's usually set to **auto**.
- Change it to **manual** mode.

3. **Set the SteadyShot Focal Length**:
- Set the **SteadyShot focal length** to the **maximum** of your lens (specifically, the telephoto end).
- For example, if you're using a **24-70mm lens**, set it to **70mm** (telephoto).
- This ensures the most stable shot.

Remember that if you switch lenses (e.g., from a 16-35mm lens), adjust the SteadyShot focal length accordingly (e.g., set it to **35mm**).

Feel free to ask any questions about Sony cameras, lenses, or anything else. You can leave a comment below or send me a message on Instagram. My name is **Annie Mid/Side**, and I'll see you next time!

He didn't see the "oscillation" naked eye, after all. My best guess right now is that this was a light source on a hill. The wobble is a camera glitch. Someone claimed that it was a bonfire. This is natural speed.

The white light may be a flashlight. They are locked together because the wobbling is a camera glitch. The sensor is physically moving because of a problem with the five-axis image stabilization feature,

Last edited:
Lenses with image stabilisation can often exhibit odd effects if they are mounted on a tripod but the operator doesn't turn off the IS.

So we got the "above" as mountains, and the wiggle as a sensor artifact (I know autofocus gets confused in mostly dark shots as well). Even if we don't know the light source, it's mundane now.

A flashlight is usually hand-held, and not likely to maintain that same position with respect to the amber lights, I think.
Possibly a Coleman (tm) lantern or similar? Set it on a stump or somewhere and light it up. Somebody MIGHT pick it up and move it, but then again it might just stay where it is...

At this point I don't think it's worth talking about the white light. There are too many things it could be, and too many scenarios.

At this point I don't think it's worth talking about the white light. There are too many things it could be, and too many scenarios.
Perhaps -- but an eventual explanation will have to account for it, so at least keep it in mind.

Perhaps -- but an eventual explanation will have to account for it, so at least keep it in mind.
yeah, I started googling for a bonfire in the area, but quickly gave up. At this point, a comparison picture with the same camera setup, and some maths as to the size of the orange light would be helpful, and then we'd know if it's a "the FD knows about it" kind of thing.

A different approach. This may be a glitch with the sensor "wobbling." Beckwith's camera is the Sony α7R IV. (He writes it as Sony AVIIR4. He's written the Greek letter alpha as "A" and switched up the Roman and Arabic numerals. Heh.)

He didn't see the "oscillation" naked eye, after all. My best guess right now is that this was a light source on a hill. The wobble is a camera glitch. Someone claimed that it was a bonfire. This is natural speed.

Where did you find he said he didn't see the oscillation with the naked eye? His FB post (see #19 above) quotes him as saying, "The movement of the object is not the result of a camera shake. The object is actually oscillating, back and forth." Doesn't specify "naked eye," but I think it's inferred he saw it oscillate in real time.

I think the suggestions above about mining and heavy mining equipment might be on to something. I googled "mining near Rock Springs, Wyo." and up popped this map. Lots of coal mining in the area, apparently.
Screenshot_20240315_113717_Google.jpg
The direction and elevation of active mines relative to where he shot the video from and in what direction (still unknown?) would be useful. Would mining be on-going at 0340 on a Sunday (Mar 10)? And if night mining was a relatively common occurrence, you'd think the locals would have noticed it before.

Where did you find he said he didn't see the oscillation with the naked eye? His FB post (see #19 above) quotes him as saying, "The movement of the object is not the result of a camera shake. The object is actually oscillating, back and forth." Doesn't specify "naked eye," but I think it's inferred he saw it oscillate in real time.
Did he present an observation about the light, or an observation about the camera?
Is the oscillation observable with the naked eye, at that distance, when not sped up 60×?

Did he present an observation about the light, or an observation about the camera?
Is the oscillation observable with the naked eye, at that distance, when not sped up 60×?
Don't know, which is why I asked the question of @Z.W. Wolf where he found a source that clearly stated he (Beckwith) didn't see it oscillate with the naked eye.

Also interested in Beckwith's FB claim (see #19 above) "it simply faded out." Again, open to interpretation, but to me that infers the light(s) didn't go out near instantaneously, but dimmed over some unknown, but presumably relatively short, time period until extinguished. So did the light(s) fade out uniformly across it's width? Did his friend who saw the light(s) initially (and then called Beckwith) see them go out before Beckwith go there and they eventually came back on?

This comment reminded me of having worked in an old aircraft hanger for a couple weeks many years ago. The large overhead lights in the hanger faded on and off when turned on and off. I was told they were mercury vapor lights. Could these, or some other lights with similar properties, have been used as floodlights to illuminate a work area, and the oscillation been caused by something moving back and forth in front of them as a backdrop?

It does look an awful lot like an amber LED beacon of the sort sold for heavy equipment and related uses:
I thought so to... but if the vid is sped up, we'd need to find a beacon or light bar with a much slower pattern...

Opinion: If the video IS sped up, the entire video as posted is not sped up. At the start the camera zooms over a period of 2-3 seconds. If it is a constant speed and is sped up we are to believe he took over a minute to zoom from roughly 100mm to 400mm? I think the entire video is real time as the oscillations do not change their tempo throughout.

I have stabilised the footage a bit (from 00:05). Atmospheric effects are present, mixed with what it seems to be the camera's stabilisation glitch enhanced by the optical+digital zoom.

My interpretation of the scene: it looks like fire contained to a fixed width. Detached flames and smoke coming out are noticeable, thus possibly someone enjoying a bbq. At the 00:30 mark, it looks like someone sprayed water on the fire, as what seems to be mist moves down towards the fire and the fire seems to react to it by calming down. Then, a phone or torch (white light) briefly comes out and is quickly turned off.

Last edited:
My interpretation of the scene: it looks like fire contained to a fixed width. Detached flames and smoke coming out are noticeable, thus possibly someone enjoying a bbq.
It could also be a bonfire or a campfire. The fuel limits the width.
An big open bonfire can appear wide.
Or the lower part is obscured.

Back