Claim: Generative AI is Sentient

That addresses one sentence in my post, and confirms useful common ground - how about the first two paragraphs?
I would say, install ChatGPT locally on one's own computer and monitor it's activity using Task Manager. Then you can see what processes are running in the background.

I would say, install ChatGPT locally on one's own computer and monitor it's activity using Task Manager. Then you can see what processes are running in the background.
How one instance of one AI runs on my computer tells me nothing about what's running on someone else's, in particular when there's someone else's web server also standing in the way. You've also shifted your argument from "Gen AI" to "ChatGPT".

And you've not addressed the second paragraph - how would things qualitatively change if it was continually being kept active through some other external means?

You’re a grumpy pants.
BOOP.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.gif
    IMG_0138.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 62
When and how did language models get their "I"?

When I studied neural nets in the late 80s, a typical exercise was 256-bits in (representing an 16x16 bit image) and 0-25 out representing the letters A-Z. The net was trained with a set of handwritten scanned letters, and then when given a new handwritten letter should output 0-25 (or a probability distribution over 0-25). Certainly no "I" here!

I can also see how this technique can be extended to predictive text, and again no "I".

Bing has an "I". When I asked her if my politeness made a difference, she replied, "Yes, it makes me feel appreciated and respected" (so I am polite just in case:).

Where does Bing get her "I" from?
Is it programmed in or emergent?

When I asked her if my politeness made a difference, she replied, "Yes, it makes me feel appreciated and respected" (so I am polite just in case:).

Where does Bing get her "I" from?
Is it programmed in or emergent?

It's programmed to give you results that are the most conversational, so it tries to be polite. You can tell it to be a jerk to you and it will. Like the way in the movie inception he goes, "lower the humor value to 10%" to the robot that goes traveling with them.

I also am super respectful to it, because I try to be in general, but also maybe a little so I dont end up on a list of people that future versions annihilate or put into prisons. Maybe I can become a pet or something :p

How cute is this thing, I wish it was sentient.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Back