Bugs and Suggestions for Metabunk.org

@Mendel

For both iPads, IOS = 17.4.1 and browser = Safari 16.0

But the older one, the one that doesn't show all the same features, is an iPad Pro, while the newer one that does show them is an iPad Air. That's why I just use the "ex" tags instead of wondering which one is which.

@Mendel

For both iPads, IOS = 17.4.1 and browser = Safari 16.0

But the older one, the one that doesn't show all the same features, is an iPad Pro, while the newer one that does show them is an iPad Air. That's why I just use the "ex" tags instead of wondering which one is which.
Super weird. Are the screen resolutions different?

I think it's likely a "responsive" thing, to do with screen size/resolution. I see this:

2024-05-21_09-09-53.jpg

But reducing screen size I get:

2024-05-21_09-10-24.jpg

I shall investigate again.

I don't think so, but I'm not a computer whiz. Many years ago I did Fortran programming on a Vax for my company, but that was when dinosaurs still walked the earth.
Not that it matters now, but a laywoman's way to find your display resolution is to take a screenshot and then look at the size of the image. :cool:

Can you confirm it works on both of your tablets now?

Not that it matters now, but a laywoman's way to find your display resolution is to take a screenshot and then look at the size of the image. :cool:

Can you confirm it works on both of your tablets now?

@Mick West too...

I'm on the iPad Air now, and have the very dark arrow-in-box icon showing right in the top row of symbols. But the only result I can see is that the "QUOTE="Mendel..." etc (in brackets) now shows as text when I reply to you, when previously it just put it in the box without all that text. All the other icons are dead (very light images, completely non-functional, as is the arrow/box symbol in spite of being dark), so that I still had to go to the "ex" tags to post something from another site. Can't post photos or I would show you how it looks now, and to be honest I don't even know what most of the other icons are for anyway. In other words, the "fix" broke it. :)

Screenshots on both of them show the full size of the screen.

I'll check the older ipad after it charges for a while.

Last edited:
But the only result I can see is that the "QUOTE="Mendel..." etc (in brackets) now shows as text when I reply to you, when previously it just put it in the box without all that text. All the other icons are dead (very light images, completely non-functional, as is the arrow/box symbol in spite of being dark), so that I still had to go to the "ex" tags to post something from another site.
Thank you! Can you use this to switch back?
Screenshot_20240522-041101_Samsung Internet.jpg
The "[ ]" button turns the brackets on and off.
Screenshots on both of them show the full size of the screen.
Yes. What is the size of the screenshot in pixels? 1536 x 2048 pixels?
From https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-find-the-file-size-of-an-iOS-photo
main-qimg-4a060490c59547abd258121c40dd1306.jpegmain-qimg-784f6972032a199742c9587205498b97.jpegmain-qimg-cbb4eae2870df64177f9c05834c9de70.jpegmain-qimg-0871da0ce3d433057d0bc8cca5c029cf.jpeg
The "981 × 736" in the last image is the size of the image in pixels. For the screenshot, thag would be the same size as the screen.

Last edited:
Are in-thread polls possible? I saw some mention of them on the Xforo forums but couldn't see a definitive answer.

They might be useful in long threads to take an opinion on the claim under discussion at the start, and then toward the end, or after some debate that might have shifted opinion.

Are in-thread polls possible? I saw some mention of them on the Xforo forums but couldn't see a definitive answer.

They might be useful in long threads to take an opinion on the claim under discussion at the start, and then toward the end, or after some debate that might have shifted opinion.
If there's a single question, you might make do asking for thumbs up/down or agree/disagree on a post. It would not be anonymous, though.

Please react to this post with your opinion:
This would work as a poll
This would not work as a poll.

If there's a single question, you might make do asking for thumbs up/down or agree/disagree on a post. It would not be anonymous, though.

Please react to this post with your opinion:
This would work as a poll
This would not work as a poll.
Is it desirable to take a poll? Determining the truth of something isn't a function of consensus. And as more evidence comes into play (sometimes a long time later) minds can change. We already have a system of public agreement/disagreement with comments, and that, exactly like the polls would be, is optional.

Is it desirable to take a poll? Determining the truth of something isn't a function of consensus. And as more evidence comes into play (sometimes a long time later) minds can change. We already have a system of public agreement/disagreement with comments, and that, exactly like the polls would be, is optional.
I have posted polls before, typically with interesting results. Whether a poll is "desirable" or not depends on the specifics.

However, my poll above seems to be failing.

Is it desirable to take a poll?
I'm not sure. It was just an idea that I thought might be a neat shortcut to eyeballing how a conversation has progressed where there isn't a clear answer, but only good arguments for the truth value of a thing.

Maybe we should have a "are polls desirable" poll.

It appears to be an option that can be turned on by admins but is only for new threads rather than individual comments within a thread. So I guess if there was any desire for polls they could all exist in one forum, so as to not contaminate threads. Maybe of limited use tho.

It appears to be an option that can be turned on by admins but is only for new threads rather than individual comments within a thread.
It is possible to post a poll as a new thread on Metabunk. I have done that on occasion.

Examples:
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/po...s-should-be-closed-after-being-debunked.1296/
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/poll-which-dod-navy-video-do-you-consider-debunked.11900/
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/poll-keep-restrictions-for-not-vaccinated-recovered-people.12033/

Not a huge deal, but seems odd. When I go into the "What's new" from the home page, and the list of "Latest Posts," and go into the bold thread titles which represent threads with posts I haven't seen yet, it usually takes me to the first of the posts that are new to me. But sometimes it takes me to the first post on page one, and then I have to navigate to the last page and figure out there how far up to look to get to the first of the posts that are new to me.

I have not noticed any rhyme or reason for that, there is no obvious pattern as to when it does one or the other.

I hope that explanation is clear!

Capture.JPG

Running Firefox as a browser.

and then I have to navigate to the last page and figure out there how far up to look to get to the first of the posts that are new to me.
when that happens to me (different browser/OS entirely), this helps:
Screenshot_20240702-173800_Samsung Internet.jpg
It's on the first page, too.

Not a huge deal, but seems odd. When I go into the "What's new" from the home page, and the list of "Latest Posts," and go into the bold thread titles which represent threads with posts I haven't seen yet, it usually takes me to the first of the posts that are new to me. But sometimes it takes me to the first post on page one, and then I have to navigate to the last page and figure out there how far up to look to get to the first of the posts that are new to me.

I have not noticed any rhyme or reason for that, there is no obvious pattern as to when it does one or the other.

I hope that explanation is clear!

Capture.JPG

Running Firefox as a browser.
Yeah, I've seen that. I suspect it's a Xenforo bug.

There's an update available. I shall install...

@JMartJr I'm using a touch screen. If you hit the title or the new post on the right, you get to the new stuff. If you miss the title and instead hit the date the thread originated, you get to post number one.

Back