[Debunked]: Joe Biden sexually assaulted his daughter in the shower

TheNZThrower

According to this tweet by the infamous Libs of Tiktok, Ashley Biden allegedly suggested Joe Biden sexually assaulted her in her diary:

The tweet also referred to a Snopes article on the alleged leaked images of Ashley's diary being subsequently updated from "unproven" as of the April 15th archived version of the page:
https://web.archive.org/web/2024041...t-check/ashley-biden-leaked-diary-accusation/
Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 1.20.45 pm.png
To "true" as of now.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ashley-biden-leaked-diary-accusation/
Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 1.21.49 pm.png

Now of course the tweet is framing it in a way which suggests that Snopes has flip-flopped on the issue. But Ockam's Razor suggests that there is a difference between changing your view in light of new evidence, and flip-flopping between two opposing views. Not to mention that Snopes admits that it has changed its rating out in the open based on a letter from Ashley confirming the contents:
Article:
Note: On April 29, 2024, Snopes changed the rating of this fact check from "Unproven" to "True" based on testimony provided by Ashley Biden. In an April 8 letter to a New York judge requesting jail time for one of the two people convicted of stealing her diary, Biden wrote, "I will forever have to deal with the fact that my personal journal can be viewed online."

Previous versions of this fact check noted "strong evidence" that the diary existed, but argued that no source had authenticated the contents of the pages published online, writing that "the authenticity of photographs purported to be from a diary is a separate question from the factual existence of a diary."

That aside, the alleged contents of the diary were first leaked by a right-wing source called National File according to the following Snopes article, from which further information can be found on the history and context of the diary:
Article:
On Oct. 26, 2020, obscure right-wing outlet National File published what it alleged to be the entire contents of a diary kept by U.S. President Joe Biden's daughter, Ashley Biden, when she lived in Delray Beach, Florida. Purportedly left behind in the apartment she was staying in, the diary was quickly passed around among some anti-Biden activists, where it has become the source of claims of abuse and trauma she endured by the president, among other things.

The passage the tweet referred to from the alleged diary came from the entry on 01/30/2018. The full passage from the National File leak reads as such:
https://nationalfile.com/wp-content...shley-Biden-Diary-Full-Release-NF-WM-Rev2.pdf
1716627516952.png1716617464186.png1716628151514.png
The part being latched onto as proving Joe Biden sexually assaulted Ashley is the part where she says:
Showers w/ my dad (probably not appropriate)
Content from External Source
This statement is being interpreted by the tweet as "Joe Biden did inappropriate things to Ashley when he showered with her". The issue with that interpretation is that a more charitable interpretation of the statement exists. It is that Ashley was questioning whether the very act in and of itself of a dad showering with his daughter - even if he doesn't do anything "inappropriate" - was appropriate, which means she wasn't accusing Joe of assaulting her. I think that the latter is more likely given the lack of any other evidence (at least to my knowledge) pointing to Joe Biden engaging in the conduct alleged. What

Any additional feedback and information in the replies about the alleged diary and its circumstances would be much appreciated, as are any other interpretations on Ashley's writings.

Attachments

• 1716628151514.png
    1716628151514.png
    765.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Ashley Biden:
Repeatedly, I hear others grossly misinterpret my once-private writings and lob false accusations that defame my character and those of the people I love.
Content from External Source
via https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ashley-biden-leaked-diary-accusation/

nothing to debunk here imo, the claim rests on poor evidence

If Biden had been sexually assaulted by her father, you'd expect far more evidence than just that shower remark to be found in this diary. In this case, the absence of evidence is telling.

Back