Rare things that have been documented much better than UFOs

C'mon, spill the beans
I'm trying to find one that does not spill the beans in the title .

Just got back here; left in exasperation yesterday on realising the clip I posted wasn't viewable by most. (And I was very tired!)
JMartJr accurately read my mind; there are other clips of the same creature, but none I've seen come close to the BBC footage in springing the surprise and showing this extraordinary adaptation/ behaviour in action, IMO.
Most similar clips have titles that give the game away, denying us the fun of the "No waaaay!" moment.

Thanks to @FatPhil for providing a link to a decent version of the same footage,
Grab this tasty morsel whilst it's fresh - I'll delete this some time in the next (...does a quick ls -lt...) sixteen years or so:
http://fatphil.org/tmp/tweet.webm

who do precision playing card throws and other stuff. I think I saw some guy doing a similar thing with pots and pans and table tennis balls.
"Precision" is perhaps a bit much, maybe "apparently precise", as really what it is is lucky, or really just "apparently lucky."

It's quite a popular genre. So certainly could be used as an educational tool - like, there's tens of thousands of flights every day, eventually one of them is going to see something that looks weird, but it just a balloon in the exact right spot.

Re: Precision Tricks -- of possible interest...

Source: https://youtu.be/ou7KSmfC3lA

Summary: You can do tricks on YouTube videos by faking them, or by practicing and get really good at some silly thing, or attempting it over and over and over and only save the take where it works. Not much room for coincidence and long odds being beaten there, I wouldn't think.

These trick shots are cool, but setting up a camera for the purpose of trying to capture something unusual, and then trying very hard to make that unusual thing happen, isn't what this thread is after.

These trick shots are cool, but setting up a camera for the purpose of trying to capture something unusual, and then trying very hard to make that unusual thing happen, isn't what this thread is after.
Sounds similar to what groups like UAPX are attempting to do. A complex trick shot set-up.

IIRC aren't there attempts to make unusual things happen on camera/sensor, by using meditation (Greer) to summon UFOs or using certain frequency signals (Elizondo)?

It's the Skinwalker Ranch thing as well, point a load of cameras at things and wait for something to look odd on one of them. Bonus points for using other types of sensors that are not easily recreatable.

IIRC aren't there attempts to make unusual things happen on camera/sensor, by using meditation (Greer) to summon UFOs or using certain frequency signals (Elizondo)?
Yeah, frequently refered to as Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind:
In a CE5 event, individuals or groups use specific protocols to establish communication or interaction with extraterrestrial beings. These protocols primarily involve the use of contact meditation and use of sounds or signals. Close encounters of the fifth kind is also referred to as human initiated close encounter.[
Content from External Source
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_encounter

The meaning of the term has evolved a bit, in current usage among Believers and those pretending to be Believers on the Internet is this version, where you can, for example, pay a fee and go off into (typically) the desert somewhere and meditate or do whatever else is said to summon UFOs, then watch the sky for anything that is not too obviously an airplane. Some groups try to "signal" the UFOs they see by shining lasers on them,

Source: https://youtu.be/hNAOfycknDI?t=44

this has the advantage of making UFOs that are actually nearby insects, birds or bats react when the beam hits them so you can say you are "communicating" with the UFO, and the disadvantage of being dangerous and illegal if the UFO turns out to in fact be an airplane.

A Facebook video claiming to be of ball lightning (from the Facebook page Guyana, South America):

This video could be fake, as some of the arcs and sounds are suspicious — but the lens flares and reflections are convincing, and it lacks the typically obvious signs of a fake video.

A Facebook video claiming to be of ball lightning (from the Facebook page Guyana, South America):

This video could be fake, as some of the arcs and sounds are suspicious — but the lens flares and reflections are convincing, and it lacks the typically obvious signs of a fake video.
Pretty sure this one has been debunked as a fake. I seem to recall @Mick West talking about it..

Pretty sure this one has been debunked as a fake. I seem to recall @Mick West talking about it..
I see that @JMartJr posted the video last year (comments below), but I didn't find any further discussion on it.
Here's one that strikes me as faked. They do a decent job illuminating the ground directly under the "ball," and to some extent on the rails,and the sparks flying around a couple of times are a nice touch as is the "internal reflection"in the camera, but there does not seem to be any illumination on the power lines and poles ABOVE the ball, and the illumination of the forest leaves and such near the end seems insufficient. I'd expect more reflections from the wet concrete as well, but I admit that is subjective. But it is shared pretty frequently on FB and on some supernatural/UFO forums as the real deal.

That's not how probability works, you're pretending everything's independent, when clearly these events aren't. What were the chances you'd switch to that other MMO after completing the EO mission? You did it, so it can't be that unusual. What are the chances someone else would switch from EO to that other MMO after the mission? Probably not vastly dissimilar chances than yours. Now multiply that by the number of EO players quitting after the mission. There being a person coincidence really isn't looking that rare. And once you accept that, then the word coincidence rarity evaporates too. The phrase stood out to you. So it probably stood out to others. That it was used immediately after it being brought to their attention doesn't seem improbable at all.

Gosh...I think maybe you have even less idea of how probability works.

There were 200 people involved in the Eve Online mission ( destroying a player station, and another team defending it )...out of 30,000 Eve Online players online. As this was 2am or so, anyone quitting the game was doing so to go to bed...not to log into another game. As I'm retired, I don't 'have' to go to bed at 2am.

There were just 8 people in the 'region' in the other MMO, out of generally 30,000 online also in that game. It's a completely different MMO, nothing to do with space battles. You seem to be arguing that one of the people who logged off the first MMO then just happened to log into the second one just as I did. That alone is a pretty freaky coincidence...that one of just 7 other people in a region just 'happens' to have also been one of the Eve Online players. But the real freakiness comes from the fact that the 'phrase' referred to occurred in two completely different contexts. In the first instance it was the name of the player station being destroyed. In the second instance it was in response to a comment a totally independent third party ( who was not at the EO battle ) made.

The two events are totally unrelated. Even in the very unlikely instance that someone had also come across from EO....they were not the person who made the comment that instigated the phrase being brought up. That was done by someone who'd been in the second MMO for several hours.

I'll give another true example...

Back in 2002 I woke up from a dream in which the fence that separates my house from the one on the left hand side was gone. In the dream I look out of the window and there is no fence there.

Just half an hour later I get up, look out of the window, and that very same fence is actually gone. It was being replaced with a new one later that day.....something I had no idea of.

I keep a dream diary ( actually a very interesting thing to do ). That dream was the only time I've had such a dream....so its not like I was regularly dreaming such dreams. One could argue that the average fence lasts maybe 15 years and I thus had a 1 in 5475 chance of dreaming such event on the day it occurred. But I'd argue for far greater odds....as that's the only time in my entire life that I've seen a garden fence gone AND its the only time in my entire life I can recall dreaming about a garden fence being gone.

Back in 2002 I woke up from a dream in which the fence that separates my house from the one on the left hand side was gone. In the dream I look out of the window and there is no fence there.

Just half an hour later I get up, look out of the window, and that very same fence is actually gone. It was being replaced with a new one later that day.....something I had no idea of.

Maybe you heard the fence being removed, or heard people removing the fence talking about it?

External sounds sometimes get incorporated into my dreams.

One could argue that the average fence lasts maybe 15 years and I thus had a 1 in 5475 chance of dreaming such event on the day it occurred. But I'd argue for far greater odds....
Respectfully, I'd argue much lower odds. The odds are not that you'll dream the fence is taken away coinciding with it being taken away, it's that you'll have ANY dream followed promptly by something similar happening in the real world. Lots of things happen, and if you keep a dream diary you are going to presumably remember more of what happens in your dreams than, say, I do.* That seems like a lot of chances for a coincidental match, with the opportunities for one going up every night. Then of course there is always the possibility that what happens AFTER the dream influences memories of what was IN the dream (perhaps this is less likely in your specific case as you record your memories presumably pretty freshly after the dreams.)

*I don't keep one, and don't long retain memories of dreams -- other than a recurring dream-family about huge tornadoes, awe-inspiring but not frightening, in the skies around the home I grew up in 50 years or so ago. For some reason when I dream of "home," as far as I can remember the dreams it is either that house or the one I lived in before this one, not any of the other places I have lived or live now.

You seem to be arguing that one of the people who logged off the first MMO then just happened to log into the second one just as I did. That alone is a pretty freaky coincidence...that one of just 7 other people in a region just 'happens' to have also been one of the Eve Online players. But the real freakiness comes from the fact that the 'phrase' referred to occurred in two completely different contexts. In the first instance it was the name of the player station being destroyed. In the second instance it was in response to a comment a totally independent third party ( who was not at the EO battle ) made.
"Pretty freaky coincidences" are the ones that really get your attention, while something like running into your neighbor at a neighborhood event is trivial. But you are still talking about the probabilities, which, no matter the odds, do not preclude such a coincidence from taking place. "One in a million" events take place every day to someone or other, and the population of the earth is about 7500 million. The fact remains that there is no reasonable alternative to simple coincidence to explain unusual events, without falling down the "conspiracy theorist" rabbit hole.

Live Giant Squid Photographed for First Time
For the first time, scientists have captured images of a live giant squid--the largest invertebrate in the world--in its natural, deep-sea environment. The digital pictures not only show how Architeuthis attacks its prey, but suggest that the animal is more aggressive than previously thought.

For years, scientists have tried to spy on the colossal squid using different techniques, including observing from remote controlled submarines and strapping cameras to sperm whales, which are known to feed on the giant invertebrates. But they have always come up short. Zoologist Tsunemi Kubodera of the National Science Museum and Kyoichi Mori of the Ogasawara Whale Watching Association, both in Tokyo, Japan, finally triumphed in the deep ocean waters off the coast of the Ogasawara Islands, an archipelago 1,000 kilometers south of Japan.

Between September and December each year, these waters host hungry sperm whales, known to dive to depths between 800 and 1,000 meters by day and between 400 and 500 meters by night. Kubodera and Mori used the depth data to target 23 deployments of a bait line affixed not only with squid and shrimp but with a digital camera, timer, strobe light, depth sensor, data logger and depth-activated switch. The camera faced the bait, snapping photographs every 30 seconds for four to five hours.

The strike came at 9:15 a.m. on September 30, 2004. More than fours hours of footage show the squid attacking the bait from a horizontal position and then using its tentacles to strangle the prey. The action contradicts some theories that suggest giant squids are sluggish and use their tentacles to troll for fish. "The long tentacles are clearly not weak fishing lines dangled below the body," the researchers write in their report, published in the current issue of the Proceedings of the Royal Society B. "It appears that the tentacles coil into an irregular ball in much the same way that pythons rapidly envelop their prey within coils of their body immediately after striking."

The squid became entangled in the bait line and, after struggling to free itself, left behind a 5.5-meter severed tentacle. The team used the appendage to compare the creature's DNA with that of other specimens that have washed up on shore, thereby confirming that the beast they observed was indeed Architeuthis. They were also able to estimate the animal's size at eight meters.

Kubodera and Mori hope that their method will lead to more sightings of and more information on this elusive and still mysterious deep-sea creature.
Source: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/live-giant-squid-photogra/

Images from the event:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B18jh51lYEs

Giant Squid Caught Live On Screen
The elusive giant squid
(NHK/NEP/Discovery Channel )

In 2012, the long-elusive giant squid was finally filmed live in its natural habitat. The squid was found by placing glowing lures outside of a submersible to mimic jellyfish, which typically indicate to the squid that food is nearby. Before this encounter, the giant squid had never been observed in its natural environment, and the only film had been taken of a squid caught on a hook and brought to the surface. You can read more about the search for the giant squid on video from Clyde Roper, the Smithsonian's own giant squid expert.
Source: https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/invertebrates/giant-squid-caught-live-screen

Video footage from the Sea of Japan sighting:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCWop491Q9Y&t=36s

Giant squid captured on camera for the first time in the US
Few scientists get to just go on a mission for the sake of exploring. Even fewer get to encounter rarely seen images of animals in their natural habitat. But a group of scientists on a research mission in the Gulf of Mexico got to do both.

The two-week mission was funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research. Scientists Dr. Edie Widder, Dr. Sönke Johnsen, and Dr. Nathan Robinson, along with their crew, dove their cameras into the depths of the ocean to capture any life beyond the human eye. At just over 100 miles from Louisiana and Alabama, they made a historic discovery: a giant squid in US waters.

The team deployed technology called the Medusa camera fit with a special lure name the electronic jellyfish five times during the trip to attract deep sea animals. Because infrared light is absorbed in the ocean, Widder, who is the founder of Ocean Research and Conservation Association, tells CNN that the light on the lure is uniquely designed. It’s the same technology Widder used in 2012 to capture the first Giant Squid ever recorded on video in Japan.

Widder didn’t think she would get the chance to see the animal again.

Video from the first US water sighting:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N7VyFSAglQ

Same event as the one above, linked it because it specifically mentions it being only the second time the giant squid was caught on video.

This is the second time a giant squid has been captured on camera in its deepwater habitat​

It’s what every marine scientist hopes for when they journey into the ocean’s depths. So when Nathan Robinson, one of the scientists on a NOAA-funded expedition to the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico, saw that first glimpse of a tentacle rise out of the inky black of his computer screen, he was captivated.

“You feel very alive,” he said of the footage, which showed a giant squid in its natural habitat for just the second time in history. “There’s something instinctual about these animals that captures the imagination of everyone — the wonder that there are these huge animals out there on our planet that we know so little about, and that we’ve only caught on camera a couple of times.”
Source: https://research.noaa.gov/2020/07/03/noaa-funded-expedition-captures-rare-footage-of-giant-squid-in-the-gulf-of-mexico/#:~:text=This%20is%20the%20second%20time,camera%20in%20its%20deepwater%20habitat

Last edited:
Gosh...I think maybe you have even less idea of how probability works.

I can assure you that I am open to a well-reasoned argumeent based on shared premises. However ...

As this was 2am or so, anyone quitting the game was doing so to go to bed...

... I disagree that there's only one timezone in the world.

Nor do I think that everyone goes to bed at the same time which would be required for your conclusion to logically follow from your premises.

However ...
As I'm retired, I don't 'have' to go to bed at 2am.

you don't even seem to have a consistent set of premises.

And from that, via
(P∧¬P) ⊢ ⊥
⊥ ⊢ ∅∁​
we conclude transdimensional space squid, and everything else in your universe of discourse.

Without knowing the slang term: WoW and Eve are not that separate in terms of slang. Both games' community cultures (and so many others as well) have been heavily influenced by branches of the "Goon Squad" from the Somethingawful forums. Goonswarm remains as far as I know a major player faction in Eve and while WoW's general culture has centered more on raiding, Goon Squad players were prominent in PVP modes for the entire time I played. And they carried a lot of slang between games, often divorcing it from context (which seemed to be part of the joke) - "dap EE BB" was being used in many MMOs and even other genres thanks to them. It only made sense in WoW (if an Alliance player said this a Horde player would see "You Lo Se"), but it was even a Klingon battle cry in Star Trek Online at one time thanks to a fleet named Shut Up Wesley, which originated from Somethingawful.

Kek is another one born out of the WoW language barrier (if a Horde player said "lol" an Alliance player saw "kek") but carried around initially by SA players. That one grew beyond even their reach, and to this day it still sees use even vastly divorced from its original context, even spreading far enough from its point of origin to find itself being used as an antisemitic dogwhistle on a few websites.

Also... Uh... yeah, 2 AM most people I knew in WoW were not logging out for bed, they were logging out to hop on their alts that their guild didn't know about so they can farm gold in peace. MMOs do not promote healthy sleeping habits.

Back