What is this thing to the lower left in this NASA solar photo?

One bit of clarification on particles moving in a magnetic field. Protons, electrons, and other charged particles follow the lines of the Sun's magnetic field as they propagate outward. This field fluctuates constantly and any volume of plasma ejected from the solar surface will typically include some trapped magnetic field lines. Particles embedded in the magnetic fields follow curved trajectories, radiating RF energy as they do. At the time such a plasma passes one of our detectors in can be moving in any random direction regardless of the fact that it originated from the Solar surface.
Particles that originate from the Sun are most likely identified by their energy spectrum not their angle of incidence.
https://images.app.goo.gl/Vco9kFeRpMxhekrU7

On Metabunk, you need to include the image with the post. I also prefer to quote the site directly, not just its google reflection, like so:
Article:
Figure 5.14 shows how electrons not moving perpendicular to magnetic field lines follow the field lines. The component of velocity parallel to the lines is unaffected, and so the charges spiral along the field lines. If field strength increases in the direction of motion, the field will exert a force to slow the charges, forming a kind of magnetic mirror, as shown below.
f79d1b5eb2e6cc1400d6fbcc695f720024ac6ccd.jpg

Tip: use this button to insert external content:Screenshot_20230311-061134_Samsung Internet.jpg

Crap, that explains why my image didn't post properly. Thanks Mendel. I'll get the hang of this yet.

Back