Geolocation Exercises

Kind of a lucky find. I guess the location should be here:
South England, on the SW Coast Path, looking at Lulworth Castle: Google Maps

First I suspected it to be part of the Maginot line in France so I did a picture search with "france abandoned tank" trying to find one with a similar biome. After some misses I've found one that fit quite nicely.

geoloc_05.jpg

Quick check on Google Earth showed that the surrounding terrain details like roads, hills and buildings matched pretty good:

geoloc_01.jpg
geoloc_02.jpg

Last proof was the little white house in the distance which fits quite well. Also the roof form of the mansion fits.

geoloc_03.jpg

geoloc_04.jpg

Was my guess correct?

Was my guess correct?
Perfect!
RIS is usually my first call but with this one I checked it with Overpass Turbo [Landuse=military / military=training_area] which, used with other terrain details, narrows it down quite quickly if you "fly" over the various sites you can line up all the features quickly.

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 21.21.41.png
Google Earth even has a decent "street view" from almost exactly where I was standing.
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 10.53.36.png

I see this has already been solved - that area would have been my guess too as it's not flat enough to be Salisbury Plain, which is also well littered with tanks! Picture from a bike ride a couple of years ago. I decided not to wander over for a closer look...

1716198251460.jpeg

Back