What books are you reading ? (conspiracy related, science, etc...)

It is indeed! Then I got a chance to see an exhibit some years ago, complete with views from their own glass-plate negatives, at the Cincinnati Natural History Museum. They had an excellent film describing the voyage shown on a huge wrap-around screen, which gives one a better sense of the enormous ice sheets they were faced with. As well as the still photos there were also portions of movies taken by their photographer, including their ship being crushed by the ice.
Getting OT here, for sure. Those images are stunning by any measure of beauty and composition, and then to realise the conditions and equipment used to make them. No point-and-shoot self-focussing available... I found a haunting quality in them, knowing what they did not, about the arduous future lying ahead

I wouldn't say it was bed time reading but is an excellent for an authoritative source of information in neuropsychiatry. Many case studies. The chapter on sleep disorders has a startling opening sentence. "No-one knows what sleep is for." , it fascinating stuff.

When it comes to understanding the human tendency to believe in conspiracies, I recommend "The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. Shermer delves into the psychology behind belief systems, including conspiracy theories, and offers valuable insights into why we're prone to such thinking.

When it comes to understanding the human tendency to believe in conspiracies, I recommend "The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. Shermer delves into the psychology behind belief systems, including conspiracy theories, and offers valuable insights into why we're prone to such thinking.
If you're interested in delving deeper into these subjects, I recently came across bookwormera.com, which provides a comprehensive guide and analysis of the Game of Thrones books. While it may not directly relate to conspiracy theories, it offers a unique perspective on human nature, politics, and power dynamics within a fictional world.

Whenever I am upset or think about the creation of the infinite universe, I read Baba Fakir Chand ji. He was probably the first religious guru in the world who experienced death repeatedly while alive. He was the first to introduce spirituality to the world on the basis of science. He fought the First World War. He clearly explained how all religions and sects were born in the world. He has done a complete analysis of the power of thought. He proved that man can create matter with his will power. He can break the molecules of solid matter.
Baba Fakir Chand says that the entire universe is a copy of the human mind, if you want to know the universe, then know yourself.

https://sites.google.com/site/babafaqirchandbooks/home/
https://santmatradhasoami.blogspot.com/2017/08/podcast-chand-mat-radhasoami-teachings.html?m=1
https://manavtamandir.com/english-books.php

Last edited:
Baba Fakir Chand says that the entire universe is a copy of the human mind, if you want to know the universe, then know yourself.
I could accept a modified version of that: "Our entire perception of the Universe reflects the abilities of the human mind, if you want to know how you perceive the Universe, know how your brain works." The other seems to far "out there" for me, but you do you.

I'm enjoying "Doggerland: Lost World under the North Sea" (Various articles). The archaeology of an inaccessible location is fascinating to me. Fishing vessels have dragged up artifacts, and since the coast of Holland constantly has to be replenished by dredged-up sand, many fragmentary items have been found by beachcombers. Doggerland was a large swath of inhabited ground in Paleolithic times that once connected the U.K. to Europe until rising sea levels, pulses of water all the way across the Atlantic from the collapse of the ice bridge(s) that held back glacial Lake Agassiz, and a significant tsunami finally divided the two.

I'm enjoying "Doggerland: Lost World under the North Sea" (Various articles). The archaeology of an inaccessible location is fascinating to me. Fishing vessels have dragged up artifacts, and since the coast of Holland constantly has to be replenished by dredged-up sand, many fragmentary items have been found by beachcombers. Doggerland was a large swath of inhabited ground in Paleolithic times that once connected the U.K. to Europe until rising sea levels, pulses of water all the way across the Atlantic from the collapse of the ice bridge(s) that held back glacial Lake Agassiz, and a significant tsunami finally divided the two.

After seeing PBS Eons' /Did a Tsunami Swallow Part of Europe?/ on that very topic (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XVxKNzhjQ
), my interst indeed did get piqued somewhat, but I never did do the deep dive that I promised myself. I did notice that the time that there were severl long-form documentaries no youtube, but wasn't really familiar with their producers - can anyone recommend for or against any of these, which are what google has selected for me on the subject this morning?
- "Get Factual"'s /Ancient Apocalypse: Doggerland | Full History Documentary/ [50:15] (ytid fd3QpHSm-O4)
- "History Time"'s /How Doggerland Sank Beneath The Waves (500,000-4000 BC) // Prehistoric Europe Documentary/ [49:59] (ytid DECwfQQqRzo)
- "antimegaton"'s /Doggerland Documentary/ [1:33:56] (ytid wwKuTO0nv-0)

Last edited:
I did notice that the time that there were severl long-form documentaries no youtube, but wasn't really familiar with their producers - can anyone recommend for or against any of these, which are what google has selected for me on the subject this morning?
- "Get Factual"'s /Ancient Apocalypse: Doggerland | Full History Documentary/ [50:15] (ytid fd3QpHSm-O4)
- "History Time"'s /How Doggerland Sank Beneath The Waves (500,000-4000 BC) // Prehistoric Europe Documentary/ [49:59] (ytid DECwfQQqRzo)
- "antimegaton"'s /Doggerland Documentary/ [1:33:56] (ytid wwKuTO0nv-0)
"Ancient apocalypse" is Graham Hancock's debunked pseudo archaeology handiwork, so I'd avoid it. I'll check out the other ones.

Actually there are lots of Sherlock Holmes' books and stories with fantastic quotes, like:

'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.'

'I never guess. It is a shocking habit,—destructive to the logical faculty.'

'Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.'

'The emotional qualities are atagonistic to clear reasoning.'

"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."

'You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear.'
Sherlock Holmes was badass. Too bad his creator believed in fairies.

“Dr Burrow said he viewed the story of how the photos came to prominence as an "accidental conspiracy" but that without Conan Doyle's involvement there would have been no story.

"When the girls took the photos there were a few prints made at the time by the family but that would have been it," he said.

"[Without him] I imagine they would have been lost in a drawer somewhere, just a quirky family story."

Speaking to the BBC in 1983, Frances Griffiths said: "I never even thought of it being a fraud. It was just Elsie and I having a bit of fun.

"I can't understand to this day why people were taken in. They wanted to be taken in.

"People often say to me 'Don't you feel ashamed that you have made all these poor people look like fools? They believed in you.' But I do not, because they wanted to believe."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-55187973

@FatPhil Your second one ("History Time") is more of a general overview of the Stone Age people in the area. It's repetitive and spoken slowly with overdramatic music throughout. A couple of interesting scenes (e.g.the "Red Lady" of Paviland), but you can scan it at double speed without losing any substance.

I never really agreed with that famous Holmesian logic, which he recycled in various forms over the years:

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”
Content from External Source
It's simply not true. There can be any number of plausible possibilities that could have occurred. Just because they're not impossible or unfeasible doesn't mean they actually happened. Once you have eliminated the impossible, what remains is an almost infinite number of possibilities.

What did that Sherlock guy know anyway :)

Great literary device. Lousy logic!
What did that Sherlock guy know anyway
I rise in defense of the Great Detective, Mr. Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street, London.

My understanding of his famous dictum, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth," hinges on understanding what is meant by "the impossible." Take the case of UFO that is in fact a video of a bee. Holmes would have us gather data and start ruling out the things it wasn't. Since, in this example, it WAS a bee, only it being a bee is possible. It cannot possibly be something that it was not.

In Mr. Holmes's line of work, solving crimes in Victorian England, the set of reasonable explanations is somewhat restricted. If you are trying to figure out who strangled the Grand Duke, answers like "a bee" or "it was aliens" pretty much rule themselves out. So he looks at the clues -- the data -- and starts ruling out the obvious suspects whom silly old Inspectors Gregson and Lestrade believe were the culprit. If he can establish that nobody had access to the building, other than family and staff of the Grand Duke, then he has eliminated as impossible everybody other than the family and staff. Eventually, he eliminates every answer that is impossible, being wrong, and is left with the solution, by which Watson almost always is astounded.

In fairness, Holmes uses other processes than a methodical "eliminate the impossible." Sometimes he recognizes the pattern of the crime, having studied such things, and knows that the culprit is surely Wilson, the Notorious Canary Trainer. Sometimes he notices the depth to which the parsley has sunk into the butter on a hot day, and destroys the timeline of the culprit's alibi, leading to a confession. And Holmes benefits hugely from accute powers of observation -- Watson sees almost everything that Holmes sees, but Watson often sees without observing.

Also in fairness, Watson seldom shares with us the cases that Holmes fails to solve -- though a few are told if they are interesting to Watson, and others are alluded to in passing, so Holmes's methods are not infallible. We're not seeing a representative sample.

Still, we should all be a little humble in critiquing the logical genius of the one and only S. Holmes, until we have walked a mile in his tobacco-scented Persian slippers.

(I'll mention in closing that I solved one case faster than Holmes, while reading the stories. Many cannot be solved until the end when he reveals the minutia he observed but that Watson, our usual narrator, did not. But in one case, Homes and Watson both knew of the crucial clues, and Watson reported them early in the story, but neither knew a bit of information about jellyfish that I happened to know. So the score stands at Homes 61, me 1.)

Conan Doyle was one of the first people that popularized skiing as a sport instead of just a way to get around in the winter. On one occasion he lost his balance and slid hundreds of feet down an Alp. At the bottom he got up, surveyed the wreckage of his attire, and sadly said "...and they told me a Harris tweed would never wear out!"

"Ancient apocalypse" is Graham Hancock's debunked pseudo archaeology handiwork, so I'd avoid it. I'll check out the other ones.
If you have not watched Joe Rogan's recent podcast with Hancock VS Flint Dibble (archaeologist) that happened just 2 few weeks ago it is worth it. I wont link the video because its not a book, but the title in YouTube is "Joe Rogan Experience #2136 - Graham Hancock & Flint Dibble".

A funny conspiracy/bunk book I read a few years ago was called "The Fog: A Never Before Published Theory of the Bermuda Triangle Phenomenon". It was in a bargain bin of a second hand book store for just 1 dollar (foreshadowing) and I couldn't resist. You might criticise me for buying such a silly book even for 1 dollar and you would be right, it was the worst thing ever. I should have bought a KitKat or something, that was my mistake.
bvgftr.png
The premise was about a phenomenon I think he just made up called "electronic fog", as well as claiming to be the only survivor of this Electronic Fog, which is very convenient. His hypothesis was that some fog at sea can somehow become magnetically charged by electricity and it sticks to aircraft and boats, so that when the fog gets you, you cant escape because its attracted to the meta of your vessel, you don't know what direction is which and then you go missing in the Bermuda Triangle.

If you have not watched Joe Rogan's recent podcast with Hancock VS Flint Dibble (archaeologist) that happened just 2 few weeks ago it is worth it. I wont link the video because its not a book, but the title in YouTube is "Joe Rogan Experience #2136 - Graham Hancock & Flint Dibble".
I think I'll pass. Rogan's incredulity grates; worse, even when he does occasionally know better he wusses out on pushing back against nonsense. And I'm expecting nonsense from Hancock.
A funny conspiracy/bunk book I read a few years ago was called "The Fog: A Never Before Published Theory of the Bermuda Triangle Phenomenon". It was in a bargain bin of a second hand book store for just 1 dollar (foreshadowing) and I couldn't resist. You might criticise me for buying such a silly book even for 1 dollar and you would be right, it was the worst thing ever. I should have bought a KitKat or something, that was my mistake.
bvgftr.png
The premise was about a phenomenon I think he just made up called "electronic fog", as well as claiming to be the only survivor of this Electronic Fog, which is very convenient. His hypothesis was that some fog at sea can somehow become magnetically charged by electricity and it sticks to aircraft and boats, so that when the fog gets you, you cant escape because its attracted to the meta of your vessel, you don't know what direction is which and then you go missing in the Bermuda Triangle.
Pulled down into the depths as if by a solid ion anchor?

Pulled down into the depths as if by a solid ion anchor?
It might have been one of the worst things I have ever read. I made the mistake of telling a friend about it, and he has never let me live it down He often jokes that I go into book stores when I think people aren't looking so I can find more copies of The Fog. At least its a funny joke.
I think I'll pass. Rogan's incredulity grates; worse
Yeah I can understand that, I was more interested in Flint Dibbles rebuttals to Hancock's theories. Rogan wasn't a big part of it because Hancock is the one in the hot seat, it was a debate between 2 people instead of an interview with Rogan. Dibble did quite well despite Rogan siding with Hancock more than not, but it was a fair enough debate.

Back